Friday, March 11, 2016

Spring Is Here, I'm So Excited I Wet My Plants

Family Farmers in the Making


Spring Is Here, I'm So Excited I Wet My Plants...no spelling error here peeps. :) Back in January, I scored some seeds and organic biodegradable pots from the dollar store! 25 cents for each pack of seeds…YES please.





So, today the girls and I began our first adventure with “farming” as they call it. So cute, right? 

Here is how we did it:

1. Separate all seedling packets by type (flower, plant, veggie, fruit, etc), then by sow depth and lastly by water/sun needs. (Total cheeser faces)




2. This was fun for the girls. I simply filled two large kennel bowls with soil and let the girls have a hay day with filling all of the pots. Messy! But fun. I would recommend doing this outside or in your garage. My kitchen counter may not have been the best place to host today's project.


3. Once pots are all filled, it's time to start with pile 1: which was our 1/4 inch sew depth, veggies. Create 1/4 inch holes in soil with fingers- great distance quest for the littles. :) 

4. Place 1-3 seedlings in each whole/pot and cover lightly and pat down with additional soil. Remember not to add too much to the top of the pot. You don't want to exceed recommended sew depth.

5. Place completed pots in a rubbermaid container.





6. Repeat for all seedling packages. 

7. Water lightly and place rubbermaid tubs in a warm, sunny place in your home. (We have been moving the tubs outside during these oddly warm days that we have been having and then bringing them back in at night...seems to be working out wonderfully.)




8. After the first water (with a watering can), I recommend using a spray bottle going forward until seedlings have sprouted. It helps to not disrupt the soil. Use spray bottle 2-3 times a day. Remembering to keep soil moist. 



So much fun and the such a great little project for little helping hands. I will update with images when they sprout, and once we transfer outside. Stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment